The benefits of massage go beyond relaxation.
Massage helps ease pain, increase circulation, improve your immune system, relax muscles, and calm your mind. This guide outlines the specific benefits of massage and how regular treatments can help you take control of your health.
Massage Therapy and your Health – Are they connected?
The connection between mental and physical health is a strong one. Massage therapy is a powerful tool that supports this connection. Massage lowers the stress hormones in your body, relaxes your muscles, and helps to bring a sense of calm in what can be a chaotic world. Regular massage benefits your physical and mental well-being.
Types of Health Benefits of Massage
Are massages good for you? Check out how massage can help some physical and mental health conditions and see for yourself.
Physical Health Benefits of Massage
- Massage eases tension in the body. Regular massage treatment enables your body to better cope with the debilitating pain associated with migraines.
- Massage improves workout recovery by relieving muscle tightness and reducing inflammation. Plus, massage increases blood flow and oxygen through your muscle so that you can get ready for your next workout sooner!
- Muscle spasms are involuntary contractions that occur due to dehydration, poor circulation, lack of stretching before exercise, and muscle overuse. Commonly known as a cramp, muscle spasms can be treated with techniques including Swedish, Remedial, and Deep Tissue massage. These massage treatments improve blood flow to the affected area.
- If your joints and muscles are stiff, your movement is restricted. Massage relaxes your muscles, which in turn improves your flexibility and range of movement (so you can strut your stuff at a local yoga class!).
- Endorphins are chemicals produced naturally by your nervous system. The ‘good’ ones – serotonin, oxytocin, and dopamine – combat the negative impact of cortisol – the stress hormone. Massage releases happy hormones and floods your system with feelings of relaxation, peace, and well-being.
- The lymphatic system is part of your immune system. It defends against infections and maintains fluid levels in your body. Massage promotes the flow of fluid in your body, including in your lymph system. Massage helps remove toxins and share the good cells around your body more efficiently.
- The circulatory system maintains blood and oxygen flow through your body, which in turn fuels your organs and cells. Massage can improve your circulation, reducing swelling and lowering blood pressure. Massage also helps with post-operative swelling.
Mental Health Benefits of Massage
Stress and uncertainty can impact your mental well-being. Massage benefits for mental health are widely recognised. Regular massage treatments can relieve some of the symptoms of depression and anxiety by naturally increasing the release of serotonin and dopamine (those happy hormones again) into your system. The natural release of these endorphins leads to:
- improved sleep
- lowered stress levels
- decreased anxiety
- lowered blood pressure
- more relaxed nervous system
Different Types of Massage
You’ve read about the benefits of massage, but how do you know which type of massage is best for your symptoms? The four massage therapies outlined below are commonly used to improve physical and mental well-being. Let’s find out how they help.
Deep Tissue Massage
Deep tissue massage targets the deep layers of muscle and connective tissue to treat specific conditions, including (but not limited to) chronic muscle pain, tennis elbow, osteoarthritis, and limited mobility.
Remedial massage is a healing treatment that repairs and relaxes damaged and knotted muscles. Remedial massage is good for neck, shoulder, and back pain. It also helps reduce pain associated with arthritis and sports injuries. Our Remedial Deluxe+ Massage Chair delivers a life-like remedial massage in the comfort of your own home.
Swedish massage is one of the most popular types of massage in Australia. It is a therapeutic massage that can assist with relaxation and circulation. Our Therapeutic Dual-Pro Massage Chair offers you a luxury treatment with a customised massage and full-body stretch. Swedish massage is also used to help people cope with illnesses such as cancer, stomach problems, and lower back pain. You should always check with your doctor if you want to use massage to complement medical treatment for serious health conditions.
Trigger Point Massage
Trigger point massage seeks out tender points and knots and applies pressure to release the tightened muscles.
Benefits of Using a Massage Chair
A massage chair allows you to experience the benefits of a range of massage techniques in the comfort and privacy of your own home. In these uncertain times, when stress is at an all-time high, knowing you can enjoy massage benefits in your own specialised chair whenever you feel the need is peace of mind that you can’t buy from a massage clinic.
As well as the physical and mental health benefits of massage, a massage chair can also improve your financial health! Owning a massage chair can be more cost-efficient than seeking regular treatments with a massage therapist over the long term.
With a massage chair, you have 24-hour access, no need to travel to appointments, and you can enjoy the benefits of the latest massage technology at your fingertips (not somebody else’s).
The reclining position of massage chairs places less pressure on and helps to align your spine. Even just sitting in one of these chairs is good for you! When you turn it on, you reap the extra benefits of massage at the touch of a button.
How to Choose the Right Massage Chair
The type of massage chair you choose comes down to your needs and budget. Look for a massage chair that:
- has a range of massage techniques
- can treat all areas of your body
- has a variety of roller types
- has a solid warranty
- is made with quality upholstery
- will fit in the space you have allocated for it!
The Masseuse Massage Chair Collection can help improve your physical and mental well-being. Bestsellers include the Remedial Deluxe+, Therapeutic Dual-Pro, and Physio+. Get in touch today so we can help you to enjoy the benefits of massage in the comfort of your own home.